Visa type: 
Nonimmigrant Visa
United States of America
The application process: 

To travel to the United States for holiday or business, or for any other reason, you will need a valid short travel entry permit. If you do not have a passport from a Visa Waiver Program (VWP) eligible country, you may need to apply for a Short Travel Visa to the US Embassy in UK prior to travel.

Nonimmigrant Visa Categories

The chart below contains many different purposes of temporary travel and the related nonimmigrant visa categories. Here you can see the visa category you require.

Purpose of Travel

Visa Category

Required: Before applying for visa*

Business visitor ,Athlete, amateur or professional (competing for prize money only) Domestic employee or nanny - must be accompanying a foreign national employer



Tourism, vacation, pleasure visitor, Medical treatment,



Au pair (exchange visitor)



Australian professional specialty



Border Crossing Card: Mexico



CNMI-only transitional worker






Diplomat or foreign government official




Employee of a designated international organization or NATO

  G1-G5, NATO


Exchange visitor



Foreign military personnel stationed in the United States



Foreign national with extraordinary ability in Sciences, Arts, Education, Business or Athletics



Free Trade Agreement (FTA) Professional:

Chile, Singapore

H-1B1 - Chile

H-1B1 - Singapore


International cultural exchange visitor



Intra-company transferee



Media, journalist



NAFTA professional worker: Mexico, Canada



Performing athlete, artist, entertainer




J , H-1B


Professor, scholar, teacher (exchange visitor)



Religious worker



Specialty occupations in fields requiring highly specialized knowledge



Student: academic, vocational

F, M


Temporary agricultural worker



Temporary worker performing other services or labor of a temporary or seasonal nature.



Training in a program not primarily for employment



Treaty trader/treaty investor



Transiting the United States



Victim of Criminal Activity



Victim of Human Trafficking



Nonimmigrant (V) Visa for Spouse and Children of a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR)



Renewals in the U.S. - A, G, and NATO Visas



*What the abbreviations above mean:

- Before applying for a visa at a U.S. embassy or consulate, the following is required:

DOL = The U.S. employer must obtain foreign labor certification from the U.S. Department of Labor, prior to filing a petition with USCIS.

USCIS = U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) approval of a petition or application (The required petition or application depends on the visa category you plan to apply for.)

SEVIS = Program approval entered in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS)

B-1 & B-2 are most common used for the following purposes

Business (B-1)

Consult with business Associates
Attend a scientific, educational, professional, or business convention or conference
Settle an estate
Negotiate a contract

Tourism and Visit (B-2)

Tourism vacation (holiday)
Visit with friends or relatives
Medical treatment
Participation in social events hosted by fraternal, social, or service organizations
Participation by amateurs in musical, sports, or similar events or contests, if not being paid for participating
Enrollment in a short recreational course of study, not for credit toward a degree (for example, a two-day cooking class while on vacation)

How to apply


Apply for your DOL, USCIS or SEVIS for approval if they apply for your chosen visa category above


Complete online Nonimmigrant Visa Application Form DS-160


Email to us the application form DS-160, a copy of your passport and the petition approval if they apply to your chosen visa category


We will book the interview appointment at the closesr US embassy to you.


Visit the Embassy for your interview and finger prints


We collect your passport when your visa is ready and post it to you or inform you that is ready for collection

Documents required to take to the Embassy

1. Valid Passport

It must be valid for at least the next 6 months when you apply for the visa, with at least two blank pages remaining. The passport should be in acceptable condition. If not there is a chance your application will be rejected.

2. Two passport photographs

The photos should be recent, good quality, identical and (50mm x 50mm) taken against a white background (the background must be white!). If you cannot get a photo yourself then we can print them for you from a digital file. Simply email us a clear photo of the applicant and we can process them for a £5 fee.

3. Copy of your petition

A copy of your approved DOL, USCIS or SEVIS petition, if you are applying for a visa category above that requires a petition.

4 Application form DS-160.

Confirmation page of your DS-160 Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application form completed at Consular Electronic Application Center website less then a month ago.

5 Your appointment confirmation.

Confirmation page of your appointment, (instruction page) Visa24 will email it to you, please read it through as may contain a list of any additional documents you may be required to provide depending on your visa type

6 Any additional documents.

Additional requested documents may include evidence of the purpose of your trip, your intent to depart the United States after your trip, your ability to pay all costs of the trip

Attend your Visa Interview

- During your visa interview, a consular officer will determine whether you are qualified to receive a visa, and if so, which visa category is appropriate based on your purpose of travel. You will need to establish that you meet the requirements under U.S. law to receive the category of visa for which you are applying.

- Ink-free, digital fingerprint scans will be taken as part of your application process during your interview.

- After your visa interview, Embassy informs us when your passport is ready for collection and Visa24 collects it.




  • Consular fee £160 ($190)
  • Service fee £60
  • Vat £10
The fees are non-refundable. you are required to pay it before your interview

Frequently Asked Questions

How long does it take to get my visa?
At the US embassy in London, the appointment waiting time is 7 working days, and the visa processing time after your interview is 5 working days. On some cases, if required, Visa24 can reschedule the appointment date to an earlier one if possible.
Where should I go for my interview?
Interviews are done at the US Embassy in UK. Please see the one closer to you

U.S. Embassy London
24 Grosvenor Square
London, W1K 6AH
United Kingdom

U.S. Consulate General in Belfast
Danesfort House
223 Stranmillis Road
Belfast BT9 5GR

U.S. Consulate General in Edinburgh
3 Regent Terrace
Edinburgh EH7 5BW
My visa will expire while I am in the United States. Is there a problem with that?
No. If the Department of Homeland Security, Customs and Border Protection Immigration Officer at the port-of-entry admitted you into the United States for a specific period of time, s/he will note your authorized period of stay on your admission stamp or paper Form I-94, called an Arrival/Departure Record. You will be able to remain in the United States during your authorized period of stay, even if your visa expires during the time you are in the United States. Since your admission stamp or paper Form I-94 documents your authorized stay and is the official record of your permission to be in the United States, it is very important to keep inside your passport.
My visa application has been refused. Why can't I get my money back?
The fee that you paid is an application fee. Everyone who applies for a U.S. visa anywhere in the world must pay this fee, which covers the cost of processing your application. This fee is non-refundable regardless of whether you are issued a visa or not.
Does my visa guarantee entry to the United States?
A visa does not guarantee entry into the United States. A visa allows a foreign citizen to travel to the U.S. port-of-entry, and the Department of Homeland Security U.S. Customs and Border Protection immigration inspector authorizes or denies admission to the United States.
Where can I find the DS-160?
Access the DS-160 here, by clicking: Consular Electronic Application Centre website.
What documents do I need to have with me while I complete the DS-160?

You should have the following documents available while you complete your DS-160:

  - Passport

  - Travel itinerary, if you have already made travel arrangements.

  - Dates of your last five visits or trips to the United States, if you have previously travelled to the United States. You may also be asked for your international travel history for the past five years. 

  - Résumé or Curriculum Vitae - You may be required to provide information about your current and previous education and work history. 

  - Other Information - Some applicants, depending on the intended purpose of travel, will be asked to provide additional information when completing the DS-160.

Some applicants will need to have additional information and documents handy while completing the DS-160:

  - Students and Exchange Visitors (F, J, and M): You will be asked to provide your SEVIS ID, which is printed on your I-20 or DS-2019, so you should have this form available when completing your DS-160. You also will be asked to provide the address of the school/program at which you intend to study. This information should also be on your I-20 or DS-2019 form. 

  - Petition-based Temporary Workers (H-1B, H-2, H-3, CW1, L, O, P, R, E2C): You should have a copy of your I-129 available when completing your DS-160. 

Other Temporary Workers: You will be asked for information about your employer, including the employer’s address, while completing your DS-160.

What is SEVP?
The Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) is the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) program that administers the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). It ensures that government agencies have essential data related to nonimmigrant students and exchange visitors to preserve national security. SEVP provides approval and oversight to schools authorized to enroll F and M nonimmigrant students and gives guidance to both schools and students about the requirements for maintaining their status.
How do I know that my visa is ready?
US embassy contacts us when your passport is ready for collection and we collect it on your behalf


Copyright © 2014 Visa24 London Ltd. All rights reserved.